Judo: Isobel Kitchen takes gold at European Cup and silver at Commonwealth Judo Games
Date published: 11 October 2019
Isobel Kitchen Greek European Cup Judo Champion
16-year-old Isobel Kitchen from Rochdale Judo Club won gold in the 57kg weight category at the Cadet European Judo Cup in Crete on Sunday 6 October.
Coach Andy Merchant said: “On the way Isobel beat world ranking opponents, including Anna Ioannou from the host nation in the quarter final, the favourite Charlotte Von Leopoldt from Germany in a tightly contested semi-final and Verena Hiden from Austria in the final.
Isobel also represented England in the Commonwealth Judo Games in the West Midlands at the end of September and won the silver medal in the under 21s as well as medalling in her own category, under 18s.
Andy said: “After dominating the domestic calendar over the past 12 months, winning Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England Opens, this is Isobel’s best European result to date and now places her into the top world rankings in her age group.”
Isobel will next fight in Japan as part of an elite British team training squad.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Regional rate of Covid-19 infection and hospital admissions fall in a week
- 2Singer Ashanti has hair styled by award-winning Rochdale hair stylist
- 3Government to offer 50% off eating out, up to value of £10 per person
- 4Roadworks, temporary local road closures and restrictions
- 5Rochdale community pulls together to help NHS staff and patients during Covid-19