Boxing: 'Diabetic Kid' Muhammad Ali announces next fight
Date published: 01 December 2019
Rochdale boxer, ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali is gearing up for his next fight on 20 December at the University of Bolton Stadium.
The fight will be undefeated Ali’s sixth bout as a professional, after a summer victory against his biggest competitor yet, Jordan Grannum, ‘The Brown Eagle’, who had experience with over 50 professional fights.
Ali made history in September 2018, becoming the first UK boxer with type one diabetes to fight, following a three-year battle against the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC).
Ali had previously had his application for a professional licence turned down by the BBBofC as a result of his medical condition, because checking blood sugar levels during a fight would be ‘too disruptive’ – despite contradictory advice from the national governing body for boxing.
With the support of manager Asad Shamim and medical doctor, Ian Gallan, a leading diabetes consultant in the UK, the decision was overturned.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police investigating the rape of 16-year old girl in Wardle
- 2Trams suspended between Oldham and Rochdale following fatal collision
- 3Littleborough care home rated ‘Good’ following unannounced inspection
- 4Security manager prosecuted for allowing fly-tipping at Turner Brothers Asbestos site
- 5Roadworks, temporary local road closures and restrictions