Rochdale powerlifter wins junior title at British Classic Bench Press Championships
Date published: 29 February 2020
Photo: White Lights Media
A competitive powerlifter from Rochdale has won the junior category of the British Classic Bench Press Championships in Lincoln.
Ebrahim Chowdhury, 23, hit 110kg bench press as his third lift during the contest last weekend (22 and 23 February), just short of the 115kg junior record.
He said: “I got into the sport because I love lifting heavy and getting stronger specifically with the squat, bench press and deadlift.
“What fascinated me the most about powerlifting is no matter how small, big heavy or light you are, the human body will reach levels of strength you didn’t know you had and will fully bring that potential into light.
“I was planning to hit 110kg as my first but everything just felt heavy.”
Ebrahim started powerlifting at 20 and competes in the under 59kg category.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1John Bright: Legacy of Rochdale’s radical social reformer ‘could be ripe for revival’ as debate...
- 2Alternative plans for HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail ‘could save billions’ with new underground...
- 3Can you help police find a missing woman from Milnrow?
- 4Regional rate of Covid-19 infection and hospital admissions fall in a week
- 5Castleton Health and Leisure Centre undergoes refurbishment as it prepares to reopen after lockdown