Sailing: Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 15 December 2020
Photo: Martin Watts
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
With the change from lockdown to Tier 3, sailing has again been permitted and there are always a few hardy souls at Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club keen to race.
The first race on Sunday 6 December saw four boats ready to get on the water, three of them Solos. At first the lake was mirror like and a very light air from the west enabled racing to begin. Martin Brennan had the patience to chart the way round ahead of Nick Hornsby and Mike Smith. Young Jacob Din, in a Laser, completed the quartet. As it was very cold no one wanted another race.
A week later, conditions were very different with a strong south westerly wind blowing, bringing rain. Again three Solos were keen to race, plus Tom Daniel in a Laser. Nick Hornsby won the start but it was not long before Tom Daniel was able to power away downwind and win by a few seconds on handicap ahead of Martin Brennan, who showed his ability to succeed in a variety of conditions. Meanwhile Nick Hornsby capsized on the downwind run and was unable to recover without assistance.
In the second race, Nick Hornsby repeated his misfortune while Martin Brennan won this time, with Tom Daniel runner-up and Andy Carter in third place. After a short break, all survived a third race, again won by Martin Brennan, with Andy Carter now second and Tom Daniel third place.
Another Sunday of racing is scheduled before Christmas and consideration is being given to sailing in January and February.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Front entrance of Rochdale railway station closed for seven days from Monday
- 2Stunning replica of planet Earth to be unveiled next month in Rochdale
- 3Rochdale to adopt 20mph speed limit on residential roads as councillors back call for safer streets
- 4Rochdale health visitor wins award for supporting isolated families during the pandemic
- 5Milnrow businesswoman appeals for once loved handbags for domestic abuse survivors