Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 29 October 2021
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club House
The rain on Sunday 24 October did not deter keen sailors out to race on Hollingworth Lake, particularly the juniors.
The colourful Topper dinghies were led by Millie Hayfield, who coped well in the breezy westerly wind. However, the overall results were dominated by seniors. Adam McGovern was out with Chris Massey in his Scorpion dinghy. Adam steered the boat to three wins.
Not far behind was a closely contested battle in Solos. Nick Brook seemed to lead upwind, but Martin Brennan was faster downwind. The outcome was that Nick Brook did lead in each race at the finish line and scored three second places overall, and Martin Brennan took the third slot with Millie Hayfield then fourth placed overall.
Over the weekend, three of the juniors were at Cardiff for the National Schools Sailing Association Team Race Championship, representing Lancashire Schools. With 18 teams competing, Jacob Din, Hector Droungas and Jasper Bramwell showed others that they had skill and experience. In a round-robin series, they lost two races only to place third overall and qualify for the quarter final. The final result was third overall and they finished as the leading under 16s team. This was an excellent result achieved without prior training.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Middleton man jailed for his part in ‘industrial scale' £61m drug conspiracy
- 2Landlord of historic pub assures locals he’s ‘not turning it into a rave’ as venue gets outdoor...
- 3Rochdale man sentenced to 14 years in prison after running elderly man over with his own car
- 4Four new units being built at Kingsway Business Park
- 5Christmas Toy Appeal needs your support