Rugby league: Mayfield preview
Date published: 22 April 2022
Photo: Aidy Gleeson Snr
Mayfield face Thornhill in a NCL Premier Division game on Saturday
Saturday will be a busy day at the Mayfield Sports Centre with three games of rugby league taking place. What a way to spend your Saturday, up at Mayfield with a veritable feast of rugby league. The sun will be shining, the bar will be open and all will be welcome, so get out of your chair and get down to the Mayfield Sports Centre.
First up the Rochdale Masters side entertain a Thornhill Masters outfit. This should be a great start to the afternoon's entertainment as two very experienced sets of players take to the field. Carl Abrahams has a large squad of players available and all will be taking part in the game. This will be followed by the Mayfield North West Men's League (NWML) side and the flagship National Conference League (NCL) team.
Andy Reid's NWML team take on Warrington based side Crosfields. Crosfields are currently one place above Mayfield with two wins from two outings and will be a tough team to beat. Reidy has prepared his side well and they are raring to get back in the game after a couple of weeks lay off.
Sam Butterworth and Steve Wood have likewise done their best to ready the NCL side as they prepare to take on Thornhill. The Dewsbury based side, like Mayfield, have not had the best start to the season, winning only two from their first six games.
Mayfield have shown some moments of sheer class on the field but have not kept this standard up for whole games, if they do so they will be a team to be reckoned with. Butterworth will be hoping that today is the day and the lads come good for him this afternoon. A late inclusion into Butterworth's squad is new recruit Danny Dean who injured his knee in his first session after joining the club from Australia. Danny has worked hard in his rehabilitation in after six weeks is ready to pull on the blue and white of his new club and help lift them to victory.
The sponsors for todays game will be Dave Tully Motor Body Repairers.
Fixtures 23 April 2022
- Rochdale Masters v Thornhill, kick off 1pm
- NWML Division 3: Mayfield v Crosfields, kick off 2.30pm
- NCL Premier Division: Mayfield v Thornhill, kick off 2.30pm
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Care home told it still needs to improve after ‘poor communication’ put residents at ‘increased...
- 2Middleton Independents Party councillor defects to Labour less than a month after elections
- 3New plans revealed for 200-home neighbourhood at controversial site
- 4Platinum Jubilee street parties and events in Rochdale borough
- 5Rochdale artists head to London to perform for Jubilee celebrations