Rochdale Thai Boxer wins WRSA Junior English title
Date published: 27 September 2023
Photo: Maurice Wilson, Bury Photographic Society
Danyal Farooq won the Junior English title
Fourteen-year-old Danyal Farooq - who has been training at the Impact Gym in Rochdale since taking up the sport six years ago - beat Rhys Connor, in the title bout held in Runcorn on Saturday (23 September).
Danyal won all five one-minute rounds against Rhys in the58-59kg category of the Fighting Machine show.
Danyal, who lives in Rochdale, has been coached and encouraged by the Impact Gym’s senior coach, Jaman Chowdhury, who says the discipline of boxing helped Danyal who was very withdrawn after this grandfather became terminally ill.
“He never gave up despite the family issues”, said Jaman, “and after his grandfather died his passion for the sport grew and he developed an impressive speed and agility.”
He added: “Danny didn’t give his opponent a chance to plan or make moves, as he was sharp and too quick. In the second round, Danny ended up throwing his opponent out of the ring by using his techniques.”
Danyal will fly out to Turkey with Jaman on 28 September where he will be competing in the Turkey IFMA World Championships (International Federation of Muay Thai which is a variation of Thai Boxing).
All photos with kind permission from Maurice Wilson, Bury Photographic Society.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale Asda distribution drivers employed by Wincanton strike for pay parity
- 2Our Gracie's: new micro-pub serving real ale opens in Rochdale town centre
- 3Dispersal order for Rochdale town centre after ‘groups of youths’ reported to be fighting
- 4Rochdale mum co-authors best-selling Christmas Treasury storybook
- 5Concerns after one of Europe’s ‘most important wildlife sites’ in Greater Manchester turns ‘dirty...