Boxing: Hamer Boxing Club reports

Date published: 10 November 2023

It was another incredibly busy weekend of boxing for Hamer Amateur Boxing Club, on Sunday 5 November. There were mixed results when three boxers showed great skills boxing in the NABGC National pre-quarter finals at Audley Sports Centre in Blackburn. Two more Hamer boxers travelled to Tameside to impress the North West region coaching staff when they were matched against a team from the Republic of Ireland.

The first boxer to step into the ring in Blackburn was 18-year-old Kieren “Special K” McMenamy, who stepped out of the red corner to meet this year’s National Champion, Louie Szeto of Everton Red Triangle Boxing Club. Szeto came out of the blue corner on his front foot to take the fight to the Hamer boxer, who placed his weight upon his back foot whilst moving around the ring using his jab to keep his Liverpudlian opponent at bay. Kieran began unloading his right hand to the chin when Szeto stepped into range to land punches of his own. The Hamer boxer continued to keep his range with his jab, whilst Szeto forced his Hamer opponent around the ring as he landed combinations to both the body and head. This continued throughout the round with both boxers gaining success.

In round two Szeto managed to get in much closer to land his punches to the body, before throwing a right hook to the side of the jaw of his Hamer opponent. Kieren continued to try and keep his distance, as he landed his jab and right hand before moving around the ring. But by now, the Everton Red Triangle boxer had found his momentum and he continued to rush forward, into the Hamer boxer with hooks to both the body and head, whilst Kieren tried to keep his distance.

At the start of the third and last round, Kieren gained some success with his right hand to the chin as Szeto stepped into range. Then the Hamer boxer began to move around the ring once again, whilst he threw his jab at his on-coming opponent, who struggled at first to find his range. As the round progressed Szeto took Kieren’s punches on his gloves and his chin, before landing two left hooks to the side of the jaw, which told the judges that he was still in command. Then Kieren told the audience that he was also still in the fight when he landed a cracking right hand to the chin of his oncoming opponent, and although the judges rightfully gave Szeto the verdict, it also showed that Kieren wasn’t far behind in skills against the national champion.


Louie Szeto and Kieren McMenamy
Louie Szeto and Kieren McMenamy


The next Hamer boxer to step into the ring was 15-year-old Austin “Powers” Heneghan, who met Mikey Doran of Boxing Fit Academy in Northwich, Cheshire. When the first bell rang, both boxers came out probing with their jabs, whilst looking for openings. This went on for about a minute until Austin landed a big right hand to the chin. From there on, it was the Hamer boxer who continued to land his right hand, whilst Doran successfully countered with his jab.

In round two both boxers upped their action, with the Hamer boxer scoring with his one-two punch combinations, whilst Doran also stepped in to land his own southpaw jab, followed his rear left-hand punch to the chin. This continued throughout the round, with both boxers showing great skills against each other.

Both boxers came out for the third and last round, fencing with their jabs, before Doran landed a left hand to the chin of his on-coming Hamer opponent. Then Austin suddenly stepped in to land a two-punch combination to the jaw. It was to be a very closely fought contest that could of go either way, but sadly the bout was awarded to the Cheshire boxer.


Micky Doran and Austin Heneghan
Micky Doran and Austin Heneghan


The third boxer to come away from the ring disappointed that day was 16-year-old “Champagne” Charlie Braddock, who met Peter Clarke of 4 Corner ABC in Liverpool. The bell rang for the first round and both boxers came out throwing fast combinations at each other and as the round progressed, Clarke began to wait for Charlie to come forward, before landing his solid right hand to the chin of his Hamer opponent. Charlie continued to step into range to land his punches, whilst his opponent waited to land his much heavier punches of his own to take the round.

In round two, the Hamer boxer stormed towards his opponent with punches to both the body and head, whilst Clarke received a warning from the referee for holding. Charlie charged into his opponent once again with combination punches to both the body and head before the referee gave Clarke another warning for pushing his opponent’s head down.

The Hamer boxer continued to rush forward into the action, whilst throwing punches at his opponent, and Clarke caught him with a very solid right hand to the chin as he came into range. Clarke knew he had hurt Charlie, so he rushed in, to land more solid punches and the Hamer boxer was warned by the referee for putting his head down. Clarke quickly rushed in to administer more hurtful blows, only to be met by a solid one-two combination to the chin from his Hamer opponent. It was a brutal war of attrition from both boxers, which totally entertained the crowd as both boxers landed solid blows upon each other. But in the end, Clarke was to be awarded the decision.

With three Hamer boxers tasting defeat in very closely fought bouts, straight after each other. The day ended with delight for the club when 15-year-old Alfie McKay stepped into the ring in Tameside to meet the Republic of Ireland’s Sam Nolan. Nolan instantly received a solid right hand straight to the chin on the sound of the first bell to start the contest. Alfie continued with his fast pace as took total control of the bout when he continued to land fast and furious one-two combinations to his opponent’s head throughout the round.

At the start of round two Alfie landed another powerful right hand to the chin of his opponent, who unsuccessfully continued to try and step out of range from his on-coming Hamer adversary, who persisted in his unending attack. This brought a standing eight count to Nolan from the referee, when the Hamer boxer landed another incredible right-hand punch to the jaw of the Irishman. As soon as the bout was allowed to continue, Alfie instantly stepped back into range to land even more punishing punches, before Nolan grabbed hold of him, leaving the referee to administer a warning to the Irish boxer. The referee allowed the bout continue and his Hamer rival instantly stepped back into the action to unload around six solid, unanswered right hand punches to the jaw, which brought about another standing eight count from the referee, before he waved his arms up in the air to signal a stoppage victory in favour of the Hamer boxer.


John Phoenix and Ben Braddock
John Phoenix and Ben Braddock


The wins didn’t stop there for Hamer Boxing Club, when 16-year-old Ben Braddock stepped into the ring for the first time in three years to take on John Phoenix of the Republic of Ireland. The bell rang for the first round and Ben stepped into the action with a double jab to the face, followed by a solid left-handed punch to the jaw. Ben continued to step forward with his punches, but he was quickly reminded of his defence, when his Irish opponent landed a solid left hook to the side of his head. Both boxers started to off-load heavy punches upon each other, which delighted the audience in attendance. Then the Hamer boxer landed three left hand blows to the jaw of Phoenix, which had the crowd screaming and shouting out in excitement. As the round continued, Ben landed another double jab, followed by a cracking left-hand punch to the chin. Phoenix instantly replied with a two-punch combination, which the Hamer boxer stepped out of range from, before returning fire with four straight left armed punches to the head. But every now and then, Ben was reminded to keep his hands up when the Irish boxer landed his right hand to the chin.

When the bell rang for the third and last round. Ben landed a one-two combination to the head, only to receive a solid right-hand punch to the jaw. Upon seeing his Hamer opponent hurt. The Irishman stormed in to land another right hand, which clearly hurt the Hamer boxer once again, and the three years out of the ring slowly began to show, as the Irish boxer gradually began to work his way back into the fight with even more solid blows to the head. Then Ben showed great courage when he bit down upon his gum shield and he began to step back into the action upon his front foot to fight back with solid punches of his own to take the victory.

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.

While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Rochdale Online and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Rochdale Online offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer (event listings and free community websites for example), please consider supporting us financially and help Rochdale Online to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Rochdale Online