Andrew Perez, 12, crowned IBJJF European champion
Date published: 13 December 2023
Andrew Perez with his gold medal
Andrew Perez has been crowned the IBJJF European champion after winning a gold medal in Dublin, Ireland.
Andrew landed the gold and title win on Sunday 3 December at the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu European Championship.
In his last competition of the year, the 12-year-old won all of his fights against competitors from France, Brazil and the USA.
The Holy Family pupil already has a busy schedule for 2024 and is aiming to travel to numerous countries next year. His younger brothers, Collin and Ethan, will also be returning to competitions.
Dad Carlos said: “We cannot describe how proud we are of Andrew. Next year, we’re aiming for him to represent the UK in Brazil, America, Spain and other countries.
“This all depends on the sponsorships as we’re currently trying to find financial sponsors to support the trips and everything involved.
“We want to take this opportunity to thank his school Holy Family RC & CE College for all the support given to Andrew for all his competitions and training; this has made a positive impact on his sport development, and he has overachieved in so many ways thanks to all the support.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Serious collision on Wildhouse Lane leaves driver in life-threatening condition
- 2David Tully’s reaction to being the runner up in the Rochdale by-election
- 3Autistic Middleton author's latest book explores how to survive puberty as a teenage girl with...
- 4Roadworks, temporary local road closures and restrictions
- 5Rochdale by-election: George Galloway wins seat and independent David Tully is second with over...