Rugby league: Mayfield 22 - 12 Siddal

Date published: 14 March 2024

If this had been an away game on Saturday 9 March, the Mayfield supporters would have been saying that their team hadn't got off the bus as Siddal ran in ten points in the first 10 minutes.

The truth was that Mayfield started poorly and Siddal were bang on their game, right from the whistle. The start could have been worse but for a great take under a massive bomb from winger Corey Newsham.

It took 15 minutes for Mayfield to settle, as they did their best to keep the big Siddal pack at bay. New signing Elijah Ponton got into his rhythm showing what a great addition to the side he is going to be. With just over 20 minutes gone it was a couple of powerful drives from Ponton that got Mayfield fired up and they put the pressure on the Siddal line. Dev Long used the position and put in a pinpoint kick on the last for James McDaid to gather and go in to narrow the deficit, 4 - 10.

Sean Slater and Dev Long again showed what a great partnership they are developing and the returning Sam Wright slotted in great with these two, to form a great triumvirate in the middle of the park. The large crowd sensed that a comeback was on and you felt Siddal did too as they opted to take the kick for goal when they were awarded a penalty in front of the sticks, 4 - 12.

As is the norm it was the Mayfield penalties that were preventing them from doing more, as time and again they gave up possession and position after needless infringements. The introduction of young Jake Ramsden and another returning player Brandon Wood seemed to steady the Mayfield ship and the game changed in Mayfield's favour. Wood made some powerful drives and put in some telling tackles, and it was good to see him back in a Mayfield shirt.

Both sides traded penalties and field position in what was becoming a classic game of rugby league. With the half time whistle imminent Mayfield were awarded another penalty and like Siddal before them opted for the two points, Jordan Parr obliged to make it 6 - 12 at half time.

Butterworth and Wood kept the team in the dressing room a couple of minutes longer than their opponents as they set out what the required from them in the second half, both knowing their was a lot more to come the lads. It was a tight competitive start to the half with defences on top. Again when awarded a penalty the visitors opted for the kick at goal, 6 - 14.

This was the last time they troubled the scorer as Mayfield stamped their authority on the game. The forwards took control with Joe Taira, Gaz Ellison and Travis Long putting superb second half performances, they were simply awesome. Reece Hamlett came more into the game and showed he is on the way to regaining full fitness. Wright was back to his mercurial best and conjured up a great try which was well taken by Hamlett, converted by Parr, 12 - 14.


Gaz Ellison
Gaz Ellison


With the pitch becoming more and more heavy, Dev Long showed a bit of Aussie magic as he evaded a couple of tackles to find Taira, who in turn took the ball to the line before finding McDaid in support, he went in for his second. However, Parr was unsuccessful with the conversion, 16 - 14 and Mayfield were in front for the first time in the game.

With a little more luck they could have sealed the game in the next five minutes as first Wright then Ieuan Higgs were held up over the line. This had now developed into a classic game with both sides giving everything they had. It was non stop action as both teams tried to get the all important next score. Taira took a trademark drive up the middle putting his side in the danger zone. Dev Long found Hamlett and he put out a great ball to the supporting Metcalfe who proved unstoppable, Parr converted, 22 - 14, giving Mayfield their first points on the league table.

On this showing, it looks like being another great season for Mayfield. With four or five quality players still to come back into the side, it will definitely be interesting to say the least. New signing Elijah Ponton looked good and put in an 80 minute shift in the pack while Brandon Wood showed touches of his undoubted class, before picking up a head injury. Gaz Ellison continued to show how good he can be and is putting in more game time as his fitness develops. Dev Long was named man of the match by the sponsors and the coaches after a superb performance.

Butterworth was pleased with the team but insisted their is still more to come, saying: "I truly believe that we have at least another thirty percent to give on top of what we did today."

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.

While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Rochdale Online and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Rochdale Online offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer (event listings and free community websites for example), please consider supporting us financially and help Rochdale Online to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Rochdale Online