Local shopkeepers warned after con artists scam purchases
Date published: 27 December 2017
The card was authorised despite no pin being used due to 'customer not present' being keyed
A local businessman is warning shopkeepers to beware after purchases at two shops in Deeplish were made by con artists using his card details without needing the pin number.
The two con artists, described as a tall white man and a woman, got away with cigarettes and a mobile phone.
The businessman explained: "The ruse involves keying 'customer not present' when asked for the pin - unless the shopkeeper looks carefully at the receipt and sees 'keyed' and that a signature is required, they will not realise because the transaction goes through."
It is understood both shops will now get 'charged back'.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 2Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 3Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child
- 4Graduate with first-class degree returns to teach at former primary school
- 5Arrests at Rochdale caravan park