‘Curryoke night’ at Venus Lounge raises over £600 for St Christopher's Lourdes Group
Date published: 06 December 2017
The packed-out 'curryoke night' has raised over £600 for St Christopher's Lourdes Group
Over £600 was raised for St Christopher's Lourdes Group at a ‘curryoke night’ at Heywood’s Venus Lounge restaurant.
The group plans to take young volunteers to Lourdes next year to assist sick and elderly people from across the Salford Diocese.
The pilgrimage, which has been running for 85 years, helps elderly and disabled people visit the renowned pilgrimage site in the south of France.
Councillor Liam O'Rourke, who has been with the pilgrimage for over ten years and leads the group, said: "The night was absolutely brilliant. We managed to raise over £600 from the event and donations are still rolling in - Heywood people really did us proud.”
Florence Sheen, co-leader of the group, said: "It was really wonderful to see so many people supporting a worthwhile cause.
"The more young people we can help get over to Lourdes to assist elderly and disabled people will make the experience for some of the most vulnerable people in society so much better."
To get involved in the group or to find out more, contact Councillor O'Rourke: 07986 555 396
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 2Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 3For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves
- 4Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 5Arrests following anti-social behaviour linked to stolen mopeds