Interesting idea for the WWI Centenary 2014-2018
Date published: 23 July 2013
Cllr Alan McCarthy, Rochdale Armed Forces Champion, says: "There is a group that are suggesting we sow poppy seeds this summer so next year, for the centenary of the start if the First World War, there will be thousands of poppies in bloom around the country.
"Poppy seeds are dirt cheap - £1 for 10k - so won't cost individuals very much but the effect should be stunning.
"This kind of project would be best done through local councils for obvious legal implications to the general public, quite sure an area in each town/city could be identified by relevent authorities that could be used."
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Former director of Climb Rochdale charged with seven child sex offences
- 2Letter: Red Light jumping
- 3 £1,300 raised towards funeral of 21-year-old who died in collision
- 4Pembroke Court called ‘death trap flats’ by former resident
- 5Coroner rules 11-year-old girl died ‘as a result of traffic collision’