Basketball: Gold medals for Simo Banjac and Helen Smith in Masters Basketball Tournament
Date published: 01 December 2017
Gold medal for Simo Banjac in Serbia
Simo Banjac and Helen Smith, Rochdale Rockets members, came home with gold medals from 'The 10th DS Memorial Tournament', which took place in Belgrade, Serbia last weekend.
The tournament is one of Europe's most popular Masters Basketball tournaments and Banjac, who also won a PVP award, played for Belgrade Serbia men’s team and Smith was on an international ladies’ team, FIMBA Europe.
Smith said: “This was my first visit to Belgrade and Serbia and will definitely stay in my memory for a long time, such a fabulous experience.
“Meeting so many great people at the tournament, legendary coaches and ex-players such as Dusko Ivkovic, Drazen Dalipagic, Sasha Danilovic and Sasha Djordjevic was fantastic.”
Masters Basketball is popular globally with tournaments all over the world.
Rochdale Rockets regularly compete at tournaments in two age groups, 40+ and 50+.
The two teams are made up by players from Rochdale, Lancashire areas, Greater Manchester and North of England.
Rockets final tour and tournament for 2017 is next week with a trip to Murcia in Spain and the first MMBA 17 International Tournament.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Councillor Richard Farnell resigns as Leader of Rochdale Borough Council
- 2Fierce battle raging for leadership of Rochdale Council
- 3Opposition leaders respond to Council Leader’s resignation
- 4Letter: Time for Labour to ditch the tactics of Brett, Farnell and Emmott
- 5Keystone Properties and Rochdale Plastics named amongst employers failing to pay national minimum...