Rugby League: Rochdale Mayfield 6 - 22 Egremont Rangers
Date published: 13 March 2018
Rochdale Mayfield were beaten by Egremont Rangers in the opening game of the NCL with history being made by it being the first ever live televised game on the satellite channel FreeSport.
Mayfield made a good start with Paul Brearley crossing the line after good forward work. Zak Baker converted .
The lead lasted only five minutes as Egremont hit back keeping the ball tight to make good yardage before prop Stephen Fox crossed the whitewash for a converted try.
Egremont asserted their authority and crossed for two tries on the flanks giving them a 16-6 half time lead.
Mayfield kept working hard with forwards Gleeson and Marriott trying to get the team onto the front foot, however strong Egremont defence saw numerous efforts being repelled.
Egremont put the game beyond doubt in the 76th minute with a length of the field interception run resulting in a score under the Mayfield posts.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Tram services along the Rochdale via Oldham line suspended after windows smashed
- 2Town Centre Public Space Protection Order to be implemented at end of June
- 3Manchester Airport confirms charges for dropping-off
- 4Motorcyclist suffers possible life-changing injuries following collision
- 5Wardleworth youngsters make a record-breaking difference